Thursday, 23 July 2009

24" weaves and the 2009 Canada Cup

This past weekend at the 2009 Canada Cup we got to try 24" weaves for the first time. Here is the video of Taari weaving.



The first three weaves that Taari does are from a regular AAC trial at Royackers in Ontario. I believe the separation is 21". I estimate her times at 2.64 and 2.94. Note that she slipped in the second set - it had been raining. The third set was impossible to time due to the tunnel. The last two sets of weaves are 24" weaves are from Canada Cup the next day.. This is the first time Taari has seen 24" weaves. I estimate her times at 2.77 and 2.60.

I will admit I was a bit concerned about whether or not she would be able to get into the "groove" with the wider spacing. She was fine as far as I can tell. After her runs on Saturday I had her checked out by a chiropractor vet who was at the trial. She had some sore muscles on her back. I wonder if she slipped in a tunnel on Friday because there was more noise and it took her a bit longer to come out. I do believe it was something that happened before Saturday given that she didn't want to jump on the bed Friday night. I thought at first it was because it was new place.

On Friday there was a regular AAC and I ran Advanced Gamblers and two Steeplechase runs with Taari. Taari got the final gamble but because I was working on contacts with her and she missed the A-frame contact we did not have enough points to qualify. We had a great Steeplechase run. She was second in her 16" class to a Dice who is on the CAT team. Taari was 4th overall (Encore and Feature were the top two dogs). Our second Steeplechase run had a few refusals but we still qualified. There was thunder in the distance in both Steeplechase runs so I felt that Taari ran really well all things considered. Below is the video of her Steeplechase runs.



On Saturday we ran the Canada Cup rounds 1 and 2. Taari would not tip the teeter and I decided to continue on. She also missed her her dogwalk and A-frame contacts. I find it harder to watch her at a trial since I am trying to make sure I am in the proper position for the next obstacle I need to be quicker and louder with some of my cues as we also had some off courses. Even though we didn't qualify for the final round I felt that overall Taari and I were better than last year. Below is the video of the runs.




On Sunday we ran the Jumpers Challenge round and we had a great start. It wasn't until I looked at the video that I noticed what when wrong with the pinwheel. Taari slipped on the wet grass and then had to tell me about it. She is a vocal dog. Sometimes she just grumbles when going into tunnels (especially if there is a lead change) or if I am late with my handling cues. Nothing like getting feedback on your handling from your dog! Other times she feels the need to bark at me. Unfortunately after that slip the rest of the run was not as good and we didn't qualify for the final round.




We had a great time at the Canada Cup and I am looking forward to next year's.

No comments: