AgilityNerd's recent blog is titled Ban Metal Jumps Now! I recommend reading it (and the other equipment safety blog posts on Steve's site). Also check out the stories of incidents that people are writing in response to Steve's blog post and on his facebook page. Steve said that recently a top dog in agility went to an eye specialist after hitting a jump cup. The dog came close to losing an eye. This is very scary. There is a picture of an eye injury on bcagility's blog.
As well as eye injuries I personally know of at least one dog that hit a metal jump standard which resulted in a soft tissue injury. When Nessa was young she misjudged when going over a metal jump and I remember her crying after hitting it. I didn't have it on video so not sure exactly what happened but I am sure that if it had been a PVC jump it would not have hurt so much.
My friend's dog's tail got caught in a PVC jump standard that had bolts to hold up the bars. He ended up dragged it around. Luckily the dog was not spooked by the experience but other dogs may have been.
I am willing to pay extra for safer equipment. In fact if it was allowed I would bring my own safer jumps to events.
I don't want to see any dogs injured when it could have been prevented if the equipment had been safer. I definitely don't want to see a career ending injury occur.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment