Friday, 30 May 2008

First chiropractor appointment since surgery

I worked from home yesterday so that I could take Spice to the chiropractor. He seemed not too bad in the morning when I walked him. Before I took him to his appointment he was limping more than he has for quite a while :(.

His chiropractor said he wasn't as bad as she expected. I gave her a copy of the report from the surgeon and she had also read the Jump Down Syndrome article. Spice doesn't want to extend his right leg completely (the surgeon mentioned this as well). It has been a while since has. She showed me how I could gently stretch his leg. She also suggested that I massage his leg (towards his heart) and ice him a few times a day. She did notice some heat/inflamation in his elbow. More towards the outside of the leg.

She also asked if I was giving him any supplements and what other exercises I was doing with him. She also mentioned that lifting each leg would be a good exercise. I remember this from one of the DVDs I have.

She thought that it would be best if I brought him back in a week. It would help him to heal faster. I took next Thursday off so that I can take him to his regular vet for another cartrophen shot and back to see her.

After his appointment I found him to be about the same as far as limping goes. Today I am seeing an improvement. His limp is not as strong. I also noticed this morning he was tight lipped on his walk. This evening he was not. He wanted to go faster but I held him back so he wouldn't go too fast. He doesn't appear to be quite a good as I thought he was before he started this more severe limping. I am not sure why he was worse yesterday. I wonder if he curled up too much in his crate. Normally he is in his X-pen when I am not home. I brought him downstairs and he slept in his crate while I was working.

I have been walking him 3 times a day and I was up to about 10 minutes but yesterday and today I haven't been walking him as long. I also was doing cold therapy about once a day but have since started doing it more often.

No comments: