Sunday, 11 May 2008

Update on Spice

Wednesday: I picked Spice up on Wednesday (his surgery was on Tuesday). His leg was very bruised which is to be expected. He has a "poodle" cut on his leg as they shaved part of it. He also missing some fur on his left leg from the surgery. His leg was quite sore.

For the next two weeks he is to be kept quiet. Only going out on leash for bathroom breaks. No stairs, slippery floors, jumping, running, etc. He will need to be kept in a small room or crate when we are not at home. I have an X-pen that I set up in the living room. He also should not lick his incision. I don't like the cones (typical e-collars) and neither to my dogs. So I am going to try the craft foam disk that I made for Taari. I just need to cut a larger hole in it for Spice since he is bigger. This is quite flexible and should prevent him from licking himself. It is Christmas colours since I bought the foam on sale (red and green with some yellow duct tape). As well as ice therapy for the first few days I should wash the incision with warm water. Home physio consists of massage and flexing and extending the joints. I will probably continue with the ice therapy as well.

After two weeks I can start short walks with Spice and gradually increase the time to help build muscles. They recommend 3-5 walks a day which will be a challenge on days in which I work. I think that I can get three walk in (one before work, one when I come home and one before sundown). I will also do some strengthening exercises.

Wednesday night Spice and I didn't get much sleep. He was very restless which I believe was due to pain from the surgery and possibly an upset stomach. They most likely gave him something to eat while he was at the clinic.

Thursday: I worked from home so that I could keep and eye on him. Thursday night we both slept better. I gave him some Slippery Elm to help with his stomach.

Friday: I went to work but came home early since I was worried about him. It was actually Friday when I started using the e-disk on him.

Saturday: His bruising is continuing to decrease. He seems to be in less pain.

Sunday: Again I noticed that bruising is less. I tried not using the e-disk but caught him licking his leg. Not where the incision is but where he was shaved. It is a bit red there so I am wondering if it is irritated. There is also some scabbing on his skin and I wonder if it is because he was shaved or perhaps due to the arthroscopy.

Spice has for the last couple of days wanted to go for more than a bathroom break when I took him out front on leash. I think that he is expecting a walk.

Sunday night when I got home from the trial (Taari was entered in a nearby trial) he seemed to be moving better when he went for his bathroom break. It is good to see an improvement.

No comments: