Today I continued working on getting the dogs to target the correct coaster. At first I started with only the coaster with the picture of the game on it. Then I added a blank coaster. Both dogs were pretty successful in the morning session so in the afternoon session I decided to switch games. They were also successfully pawing the coaster of the other game. Next I added a blank coaster. Sometimes helping them out by pointing to the coaster. In the evening session I decided to have the dogs go to a mat and then I would release them with okay. Taari seemed to be less successful. Then I noticed that she was looking at both coasters and when I released her she frequently went to the one she was looking at. I realized why this was happening as that is what I expect when I do gambling work with her. So I now have to be careful and make sure that she is looking at the right coaster when I release her. She did start to release herself and go to the correct coaster. I am not too worried about her releasing herself because she was picking the right coaster and was not waiting for me say "yes that is the right one".
I haven't added the question yet as I am unsure if I want the question to be "Which game do you want?" or "Which game is this?"
One problem I am having is making sure that they touch the coaster with a paw. This is where I think that the talking signs would help. I would wait until I heard the sign talk (i.e the dog would have to hit the sign and cause the recording to play). There would be feedback to the dog that they had touched the sign appropriately - it would speak the word or words associated with what they touched. I would also not be confusing the dog by clicking it for a bad paw or not noticing when they did hit it. (Aside - I can see that a Chicken Camp would help with my skills.)
Saturday, 24 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment