Friday, 30 January 2009

Talking Signs - more testing

I tried putting the Go Talk Buttons in a muffin tin but that didn't work out. The muffin tins were too deep and the dogs didn't really want to paw the buttons when they were in there. I tried putting several layers of cardboard in the muffin tin to raise the buttons up but that didn't work either.

Then it occurred to me that I should try Velcro. I didn't want to use the Talking Symbols Velcro so I searched the house and finally found some and a board to attach the buttons too. I first tried regular Velcro and it didn't work that well as the buttons still moved too much. The Industrial Strength Velcro was better. Now I had a new problem. If the dogs pawed at the buttons just the right way the battery compartment opened and the top came off. This can be solved by either putting a larger piece of Velcro on the back to hold the battery compartment closed or using a piece of tape.

If only I could get my dogs to put some weight on the button when they pawed it. Right now they are not and the button doesn't always play the message when they paw it. Sometimes what happens is that the light comes on but no message is played. I duplicated this by rapidly pressing the button twice.

No comments: